Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Eggplant Caponata or as we Sicilians say...Caponatina

If I say so myself...THIS IS AMAZING!!! Hands down, my family and friends go CRAZY for this dish. It is pretty much a staple in my house. I can't keep it around very long. I used to fry the eggplant but NOT ANY MORE! Actually, I have thought about roasting the onions and celery too but I am taking baby steps to adjust this recipe because it is just so good. I will say that I don't eat the bread with it anymore. I slice up carrots on the diagonal and they look and taste great with it. Once through the lips...forever on the hips. I have worked too hard to get to my size 6! Nothing like the taste of feeling thin! Oh...I serve this at room temp. If, for any reason, you might have some leftovers, you can serve it as a pasta sauce or in my case....over some tofu shiratake noodles. My father is definetely going to turn over in his grave with that last "tofu noodle" remark.


Caponatina



Eggplant is sometimes a vegetable that you either love or hate. I love it. It has a pleasant, somewhat bitter taste and a spongy texture. When you add the ingredients that follow to this dish you will absolutely be amazed at how wonderful this vegetable is to your palette. The nice thing about this dish is that you can freeze it and use it a million ways. Try it on a sandwich as the spread, as a side dish, or a topping for bruschetta. Just let your imagination go! This makes approximately 4 cups so you will have enough to last for awhile! Just try it.



Ingredients
2 eggplant (chopped into cubes)
¼ cup olive oil (divided in 2 increments)
3 onions (finely chopped)
3 ribs of celery (finely diced)
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup of currants
1/4 cup capers
1 cup green olives (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
6 oz can of tomato paste
3 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oregano

Place eggplant on cookie sheet lined with foil and dabble with olive oil. Roast at 400 degrees until lightly browned and soft. Coat sauté pan with olive oil and sauté onions and celery until caramelized. Don’t add more oil, just add water if you need to cook them more. Add pine nuts, currants, capers and green olives. Stir. Add vinegar, tomato paste. Add cooked eggplant. Sprinkle in oregano and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. It should have a sweet, yet savory taste.

No comments: