Thursday, April 14, 2011

Shall I wear my horns or my halo this morning? French Toast or Oatmeal?

You think I'm having this for breakfast? I don't think soooooo!! I'm saving this for a special Sunday morning! The recipe for the Grand Marnier French Toast with Mascarpone Cheese is way down on the bottom below the picture of the... delicious?... can of oatmeal. Which, by the way, is what I'M having this morning!!!


Ok, so maybe this is a no-brainer breakfast but supposedly it is the one that really fills you up! That's what I need for sure! Steel cut oatmeal has a little crunch to it compared to the Quaker Oats brand that I grew up eating! I made some up in my rice cooker (three scoops) and now I have 1/2 cup portions for the rest of the week. Add some delicous raspberries and bananas with a little "Splenda"brown sugar and maybe a tablespoon of your favorite chopped nuts. Not bad at all! I'm trying... I'm trying so hard to be good!
Grand Marnier French Toast with Mascarpone Cheese

Ok,get ready to feast on this indulgent breakfast! OMGosh! Out of the ballpark amazing. I would pair it with some Italian champagne and pear necter to really put it over the top. This is one way to start your Sunday morning off with a bang!


6 extra large eggs


1 ½ cups half and half (or milk will do in a pinch)


Grated zest of 1 orange


½ teaspoon vanilla extract


1 tablespoon honey


1 tablespoon Grand Marnier


½ teaspoon salt (I use Kosher)


1 large loaf challah or brioche bread


8 ounces Mascarpone cheese


Vegetable oil for sautéing


Unsalted butter for sautéing


Have some pure maple syrup and fresh fruit to garnish the plate. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees to keep slices warm. Whisk together the eggs, half and half, orange zest, vanilla, honey, Grand Marnier and salt. Slice the bread into 1 inch thick slices and cut a small pocket in the middle of the slice. Stuff about a tablespoon and a half of the cheese into the pocket. Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture for at least 5 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a very large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the soaked bread and cook for a couple of minutes until nice and brown. Place cooked French toast on a cookie sheet and put in oven to keep warm. You might want to start sipping your champagne about now. Keep frying the bread, adding the oil and butter as need be. Plate up and enjoy!!!

No comments: