Saturday, May 21, 2011

Parasols and Pasta! Yes, I'll eventually be OK!


Is a picture worth a thousand words? In this case, MORE THAN YOU KNOW! The girls and I took the babies to Disneyland the other day. You know, the happiest place on earth!!! It was a wonderful diversion for me but certainly did not eliminate the pain completely from what I am going through. I looked at this picture that I took that day very lovingly this morning but for some reason the parasols spoke to me. Umbrellas? Why? I immediately looked up the definition as if I didn't know what the word umbrella meant! It came to me VERY LOUD and CLEAR. "Something that covers and protects from above, such as military aircraft safeguarding surface forces." I get it! Not that I doubted it. Not that I questioned it. But it is so evident now! I have so many "parasols" surrounding me on a daily basis. Guarding me, watching over me. I have held the umbrella for so many... for so long... and now, I will graciously accept to be under those who offer me that same protection for my heart.




Yes, I now know that I will not only SURVIVE this transition but I will eventually THRIVE!!!




Now I will go cook up a delicious pot of meat sauce served with either pasta for my son, Emilio or in my case, spaghetti squash for myself! (I am watching my girlie figure!)



Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meat Sauce

Olive oil spray
1 onion chopped
6 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey
Large can of tomato puree
Large can of chopped tomatoes
¼ cup red wine
Sugar to taste or Splenda
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh basil


Spray your Dutch oven with olive oil. Add onions and sauté. Add about ¼ cup of water because you want to caramelize the onions but you don’t want to add too much olive oil. Water does the same trick. Keep going until they are almost tan in color. Add the chopped garlic and the ground turkey. Saute till it is cooked through. Add the puree and tomatoes. Mix it all together and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook the spaghetti squash as directed on that little tag that is on it. Pour the sauce over the squash. I serve it with ....guess? ROMANO CHEESE! Like everything else, I always seem to add that to it at the end!


I’m sure my dad is looking down at me saying, “fer crying out loud, what have you done to my Sicilian Meat Sauce recipe?” Don’t worry dad….I know what I’m doing!” Trust me! Remember who taught me how to cook?

No comments: