Monday, May 16, 2011

Transition...with a Quinoa Recipe!



In the spirit of HONESTY and being TRUE to my AUTHENTIC self, I want to share with you why I have been absent since my Easter post. Not that you might have wondered... but my heart needs to speak. This simple blog seems to be here for me to share...my recipes... and now my thoughts. Filter out what you wish. It is now evident that my life is going through a very unexpected and extremely difficult transition. You never think something like this will happen to you and then WHAM BAM, a freight train slams into your wonderful life. Now WHAT? It's called TRANSITION. "A passage from one state to the next." "Change." Certainly didn't want it! Absolutely didn't plan on it but nonetheless, I am accepting it with clarity. Difficult though it may be, I will start a new chapter in my book. Maybe even a whole NEW book! I will not fall back into my old ways of eating unhealthy, feeling sorry for myself, not exercising, (sound familiar?) but I will pick myself up and continue on with zest and zeal, knowing that I will SURVIVE. I can only hope that if any of you have been there or are in a situation such as this, you too, will have the same positive attitude. I know Maria does! NOW...on to a GREAT RECIPE with QUINOA!





Quinoa



First of all, let me tell you about this grain. It is an amino acid-rich (protein) seed that has a fluffy, creamy, slightly crunchy texture and a somewhat nutty flavor when cooked. I cook it in my rice cooker and follow the directions adding just a tinge more water that is needed for rice. I then add roasted vegetables, such as red onion, bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash that have been roasted in a 400 degree oven with a little salt and pepper and Herbs de Provence. Add the veggies to the cooked quinoa along with a teaspoon of coconut oil and of course, some grated Romano cheese and OMGosh! Native to South America this grain was once called the "Gold of the Incas" years ago as it was recognized to increase the stamina of their warriors after being fed this. Let me just say that I have learned a lot from Seal Team Six as far as RECON MISSIONS... AND eating Quinoa!!!

2 comments:

Odette said...

Sometimes change is good and transition in life is what we make of it! Sounds like you are on the right track! This recipe looks yummy and I will give it a try and transition myself into eating healthier. Thanks and keep the recipes coming!

Gerry the Cook said...

Odette,
Thank you for your kind words. It is going to be one heck of a journey and I'm going to take it one step at a time!