Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Gracie's Birthday at Javier's!





Gracie's Birthday! Close your eyes and make a wish!!!



It is one thing to go out to lunch for your birthday but it is a another thing to have your favorite cake baked by your mother for dessert! This Banana Cake recipe is ancient. My best friend since I was 12, Annie, gave me this recipe and it was HER grandmother's. It is fabulous and Javier's didn't charge me for serving it. Oh, and there is a lot of other dessert served at Javier's, namely EYE CANDY! My niece ordered a dessert and had it served to a table of, shall we say, nicely attired gentlemen that were sitting across the way, with a note that said, "I hope you enjoy the dessert as much as I have enjoyed the view! Honestly!!! These kids!!! Oh, and remember the show, "O.C. Housewives?" They used to hang out here, so I'm told. Enjoy the dessert... whichever you choose!

Banana Nut Cake

2 cups sugar
½ cup butter or margarine
3 egg yolk
3 bananas
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites

Grease and flour two round cake pans. (I grease them with Pam) Cream sugar and butter, add beaten egg yolks. Mash bananas and add to mixture. Beat all together. Mix flour and baking powder and soda together. Alternately add flour mixture with buttermilk to creamed butter mixture. Add vanilla and nuts. Fold in beaten egg whites. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Buttercream Frosting

1 pound of powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup butter

Mix until smooth and creamy.


Sing Happy Birthday and Make a Wish!!!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gerry -
This cake would be perfect for Desi; he loves banana anything! I'll give it a try. The party looks like it was fun, too bad I missed it.
Keep cooking,
Mary

Gerry the Cook said...

Let ME make the cake for Desi!

Anonymous said...

I made this cake for my girlfriend and she was smitten! thankyou Gerry!

Gerry the Cook said...

Frankie: I'm so glad your girlfriend enjoyed your culinary expertise!